16 Aug 2019
Nowadays, job interview processes sometimes include a trial period that generally consists of attending the potential workplace for a day or more, in order to acquire a good understanding of what working there would be like. Although it may seem nerve-wracking, a job trial is a great way of deciding whether the job is right for you or not, while your potential employer also decides if you would be a good fit for the role.
Why should I attend a job trial?
- A job trial allows you to really understand what the role would involve. Use the bit of time you have there to analyse what work you are expected to deliver, and if it is in your purview.
- Experiencing the job would allow you to immerse yourself in the surroundings and decide whether the work environment is the right one for you. Some people can be put off by an overly corporate environment and require more relaxed, laid-back surroundings – or vice versa.
- A job trial can be the perfect opportunity to meet your colleagues and spend time with your employer. Even from just a short period of time, you might be able to get a good idea of what working with these people would be like. Although you should not be put off by co-workers who do not share the same mindset, it can certainly have an impact on the role.
- Job trials are also a great way to prove your best skills to the employer in a less formal manner than an interview. Interviews are sometimes not the best way to acquire a clear indication of what someone’s character is like, especially since there seem to be so many unsaid rules related to interview etiquette. Job trials, on the other hand, are often more genuine and relaxed.
- Once you have already frequented the workplace a couple of times, your first day on the job will not seem as daunting. You will likely already be somewhat familiar with the surroundings, the people, and some of the work.
Hopefully, we have helped convince you to accept a job trial. Remember to show up on time and dressed neatly, as job trials are incredibly important to pass a great first impression!